Meet the teachers
The Principal – Katharine Mitchell ARAD, RAD TC DIP
Katharine’s roots are in Crediton where her family still live and who until recently ran a local business which extended though three generations and over 100 years.
Having been educated in Exeter, Katharine returned to Devon in 1997 after a dancing career which has seen her perform and study at some of the UK’s foremost dance schools and benefited from the tutelage of a number of nationally renowned teachers.
Katharine has over 20
years of teaching experience and has a proud record of her pupils achieving a 100% pass rate in RAD dance examinations during this time.
- Started dancing from the age of 3 yrs.
- Trained with Olga Cooper (FRAD) up to the age of 16 yrs.
- Passed RAD Advanced 2 ballet exam at the then record age of 15 yrs.
- Spent three years training at the Bush Davies School of Theatre Arts covering all aspects of dance and the performing arts.
- Danced professionally for five years including various TV appearances including the House of Elliot.
- Studied at the Royal Academy of Dance, London gaining the RAD teaching qualification.
- First teaching role at the Bristol School of Dancing; taught for 6 years under the guidance of Angela Redgrave (recent recipient of RAD lifetime achievement award) – choreographed for annual shows, festivals and professional performances.
- Established the Southville school of dance (subsequently sold to Bristol School of Dance)
Ellodie – RAD – Contemporary, Ballet,
Ellodie started her dance training in Devon and at the age of 11 was awarded a place at the prestigious White Lodge and then at Elmhurst. After graduating from Rambert in 2009 with a degree in Ballet and Contemporary dance, she joined the Vienna Festival Ballet. After touring with the Vienna Ballet she returned to Devon to start het teaching career – in 2015 she received her Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies with the RAD.
She is delighted to become a member of the Katharine Mitchell School of Dance.
Daisy Dafters – Musical Theatre, Commercial Jazz, Modern
Daisy joined the Katharine MItchell School of Dance when she was just 3! During her years as a pupil, she performed at the Northcott Theatre in a production of Mother Goose, with the English Youth Ballet at the Torquay Princess Theatre in Giselle and in several QE school musicals. At aged 17 she successfully gained entry to the prestigious Bird College where she studied dance and musical theatre, graduating in 2018 with a first class honours degree.
Whilst at college she was given many performing opportunities from appearing on Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway to being part of Elton John’s Bennie and the Jets music video remake. In her final year performance of ‘Thoroughly Modern Milly’ she was given the comedic female lead role of Mrs Meers.
In her final term at college Daisy secured her first professional dancing contract with P&O Cruises and for the last year has been performing and sailing the seas, travelling far and wide from Norway to the Caribbean.
Daisy is excited to be returning to Devon after 4 years of living away and to have the opportunity to teach and choreograph current students of the school and inspire them with her passion and love of dance.