Meet the teachers
The Principal – Katharine Mitchell ARAD, RAD TC DIP
Katharine’s roots are in Crediton where her family still live and who until recently ran a local business which extended though three generations and over 100 years.
Having been educated in Exeter, Katharine returned to Devon in 1997 after a dancing career which has seen her perform and study at some of the UK’s foremost dance schools and benefited from the tutelage of a number of nationally renowned teachers.
Katharine has over 20 years of teaching experience and has a proud record of her pupils achieving a 100% pass rate in RAD dance examinations during this time.
- Started dancing from the age of 3 yrs.
- Trained with Olga Cooper (FRAD) up to the age of 16 yrs.
- Passed RAD Advanced 2 ballet exam at the then record age of 15 yrs.
- Spent three years training at the Bush Davies School of Theatre Arts covering all aspects of dance and the performing arts.
- Danced professionally for five years including various TV appearances including the House of Elliot.
- Studied at the Royal Academy of Dance, London gaining the RAD teaching qualification.
- First teaching role at the Bristol School of Dancing; taught for 6 years under the guidance of Angela Redgrave (recent recipient of RAD lifetime achievement award) – choreographed for annual shows, festivals and professional performances.
- Established the Southville school of dance (subsequently sold to Bristol School of Dance)
Ellodie STOTT – RAD – Contemporary, Ballet
Ellodie started her dance training in Devon and at the age of 11 was awarded a place at the prestigious White Lodge and then at Elmhurst. After graduating from Rambert in 2009 with a degree in Ballet and Contemporary dance, she joined the Vienna Festival Ballet. After touring with the Vienna Ballet she returned to Devon to start het teaching career – in 2015 she received her Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies with the RAD. She is delighted to become a member of the Katharine Mitchell School of Dance.
Sophie Stevens – Jazz, Modern & Street Dance
Sophie also joined the Katharine Mitchell School of Dance at 3 years old! During her years as a pupil, she performed at the Northcott Theatre in a production of Mother Goose, with Boy Blue Entertainment in Pied Piper and with the English Youth Ballet at the Torquay Princess Theatre in Giselle.
She made her first professional dancing debut in Starstruck at Babbacombe Theatre in 2016 and then went on to complete her 3-year dance degree at the renowned London Studio Centre, where she was able to expand her knowledge and love for commercial dance and fitness.
In 2018 she travelled to the Los Angeles for intensive training at the Millennium Dance Complex and finished her final year at LSC in 2019 on tour with the Jazz Company.
Since finishing her studies, she has worked with music and movement with the BBC, future work with agency Skin London, and had several modelling opportunities.
Whilst continuing her career in dance and fitness she is delighted to be rejoining the school as a teacher and passing on her love for dance, fitness and performing to the next generation.